Saturday, October 24, 2015

How do I help a lonely and isolated teenage girl?

Answer by Thomas Zerbarini:
Find a way to get closer...slowly! I can't say I am an expert at this, but I have had my share of being lonely and the new kid or strange kid with all the moving around I did as a child.

I would suggest:

  • Sit at her table or near her.
  • Make eye contact and smile nicely from time to time.
  • Talk to a friend or someone else, near her and in her earshot, about some of the things you described experiencing--She will hear things she can "relate" to you about. This may make her feel less alone and isolated.
  • What stranger noticed you? What did they say? What did they do? How did that "break your spell?"
  • Consider asking her for help. Most people in a withdrawn and depressed state do not want to hear that they have a problem or need help. They may be willing to help others with a similar situation thereby opening their mind and thought to what they are experiencing.

I would also consider talking to an experienced professional on the matter to get more substantial advice. I admire your desire to help and your compassion for others. I too have that same drive, just be careful and smart about it. Confrontation is typically a negative way to go. Subtle gestures of compassion and caring I find has better results.

Thomas Zerbarini
How do I help a lonely and isolated teenage girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment