Saturday, August 8, 2015

How can I expose my 6 year old to those who are significantly less fortunate without creating fear or putting him in danger? He already s...

Answer by Thomas Zerbarini:
This can be a very tough question to answer. There are so many variable that play into a child's behavior. I would suggest working on his sense of entitlement and expectations.

We are clearly in an age of entitlement and our children are growing up in it.  Here's a great article from Grand Parents .com that looks at and give fantastic strategies at handling children's expectations.

How to Manage Kids' Expectations - In an Age of Entitlement

My favorite strategy is the gift giving strategy. I feel very strongly that gifts should be surprises and not simply a result of child's request, especially if the child is pestering or demanding the gift. Of course we want to give our kids what they want; but, a surprise fulfillment means so much more. I'll also wait for a big accomplishment in school or change in behavior to give those gifts.

My second thought is to develop the child's generosity in sharing. Not to give it all away, just to give and be nice to those who have less. Couple this with volunteer work from time to time like food drives for church/boy scouts, toys for tots, veteran monument cleanups, Make a Wish, Canines for Kids, etc...

There are so may great non-profit groups that kids could get involved with at any age to help raise funds or just spend time with other less fortunate children.

Thomas Zerbarini
How can I expose my 6 year old to those who are significantly less fortunate without creating fear or putting him in danger? He already s...

No comments:

Post a Comment