Friday, September 11, 2015

My parents complain about me to their siblings and I feel none of them care about me anymore, including my parents. What should I do?

Answer by Thomas Zerbarini:
I'm sorry about what you have heard. It feels terrible to over hear a conversation about you when it's negative. Even if they are frustrated with you or have good reason to be upset with you--it still hurts.

If you feel comfortable with speaking to your parents, let them know what you heard and how that makes you feel. Don't attack, complain or blame, just relate your feelings and ask them to please not do that anymore.

At the very least you will feel better about expressing your true feelings. Secondly, the openness about how you feel may develop dialogue with your parents. There is obviously things that you may need to discuss and work through with your parents.

Try to keep an open mind and take responsibility and ownership of your contribution (negative or positive) in the relationship with your parents. If you express your feelings honestly and calmly and take responsibility for your contribution to the conflict, you will find that others will take ownership of their contributions and hurtful statements more easily.

This is very basic advice without knowing the details of what led up to your parents complaints.

Thomas Zerbarini
My parents complain about me to their siblings and I feel none of them care about me anymore, including my parents. What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment